- Shower and exfoliate using PH balanced and oil free products at least 8-12 hours before tanning.
- Waxing or shaving should be carried out at least 24 hours prior to tanning to allow the proteins and amino acids to rebuild on the skin (this is what the tanning agent tans and if they are not present on the skin, you may not reach optimal development).
- Avoid moisturisation for 24 hours prior to tanning as, even after showering, residue can remain on the skin and create a barrier.
- Remember – results will vary depending on the individual. Pale skin will not be the same colour after tanning as dark / sallow skin. Chlorine, perfume, deodorant, products containing essential oils, dehydration and skin health can all affect your tan result.
- Vita Liberata recommend upping your water intake and eating leafy green vegetables including kale, spinach and rocket, which are high in lysine, to prepare your skin for the best spray tan result. Hormones, stress, exhaustion and any herbal or prescribed medication may affect your tan, so be aware of this when booking your spray tan appointment.
Immediately after your tan:
- Remember the instant colour you see is only a guiding bronzer. Your tan will develop within 6-8 hours.
- Keep skin completely dry for 6-8 hours.
Do not apply cosmetics or skincare products over the developing tan.
- Avoid activities that make you perspire for 6-8 hours after the tan is applied.
After your tan has developed:
- Shower with warm water. Once the water runs clear, use a PH balanced shower gel and pat the skin dry. Ensure that your shower gel is free from perfume and essential oils, as these will strip your developed colour faster.
- Avoid using skincare products that contain Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (AHAs) as these will strip your tan.
- Do not wax/shave for 24 hours, as this removes layers of skin and will remove the tan too!
- Moisturise twice daily with a product that doesn’t contain essential oils.